Kirklees Council has appointed an Artistic Programmer to the Year of Music 2023 initiative.
William Galinsky, who brings a wealth of experience of music commissioning and programming at the very highest level, in particular working with communities and stakeholders on place based arts and culture projects. He was Artistic Director of Norfolk & Norwich Festival from 2011-2017 where he commissioned and programmed an eclectic music programme across genres: from classical, to jazz and folk, from new commissions to music participation projects. Originally from West Yorkshire, he made his professional debut in Opera North’s Cunning Little Vixen when he was 11 years old and went on to direct for the theatre for many years before his very successful tenures as Artistic Director of Cork Midsummer Festival in Ireland and Norfolk & Norwich Festival. He has lots of experience of place-based approaches to culture and co-wrote Nottingham’s European Capital of Culture bid working closely with communities, partners and stakeholders in the region.
William’s role is to take the lead on pulling together all the strands of work for the Year of Music 2023 into one coherent narrative, as well as instigating key projects and commissions where appropriate in the programme to compliment and contribute. The appointment will support the approach and William will work with the music community of the district, with the ambition of enhancing and enabling the music ecology.
The role is to champion music, to bring together and curate with partners and stakeholders a celebratory programme for the year.
Kirklees Council have also announced the Board for the Year of Music 2023, which includes TSL’s Chair, Hilary Thompson. The Board will lead and support the delivery of the Year of Music’s vision, aims and objectives, as well as actively participating in the development of the programme.
Year of Music Board Members: –
* Councillor Paul Davies, Kirklees Council
* Hilary Thompson, Chair Third Sector Leaders
* Qaisar Mahmood, CEO, Radio Sangam and CEO Communities Together
* Steven Roberts, Conductor, Adjudicator, Educator – Secondary School, VCS Music
Community and Chair of the National Federation of Festivals
* Matt Bell, Managing Director, The Turntable
* Nic Clear, Dean of Arts & Humanities, University of Huddersfield
* David Birkenshaw, Medical Director, Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation
* Sophie Simpson, Co-Founder and CEO, Conscious Youth
* Michael Blair, American Musician and Producer